1 Pastry Sheet
5 Tbsp Sugar
2 tsp Cinnamon
1 pinch Nutmeg
1 tsp Lemon Zest
4 cups Water
3 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp lemon juice
Powdered Sugar for dusting (optional)
1. Wash and core the apples. Slice in very thin slices, slightly smaller than 1/8 inch. Place the sliced apples in a saucepan along with the 4 cups water, 3 tablespoons sugar and 2 tablespoons lemon juice. Bring to a boil and let simmer for 2 minutes, or until the apple slices soften and can easily bend.
2.Strain the apples and let cool in the colander. Line a plate with paper towels and nicely arrange the apple slices so that they can dry and cool completely.
3. While the apples are cooling, mix the 5 tablespoons of sugar with the cinnamon, nutmeg and lemon zest. Prepare you work surface by lightly sprinkling it with some flour (or just use a silicone mat) and roll out the pastry sheet. Using a pastry (or pizza) cutter, cut long strips approximately 1/2 inch wide. Spread the cinnamon mixture over the dough and slightly press it down.
4. By this time your apples should be cool and almost dry. Take a few slices and place them on the first strip of pastry dough, overlapping them so they do not fall out and will create a rose-like design (petals) once completed. Now start rolling, making sure it is fairly tightly rolled. Place on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper.
5. Repeat until you have create all of the Apple Roses.
6. Bake at 425˚F for 25 minutes, or until nicely golden.