Sounds weird? Don't be. Basically it's a pumpkin steamed bun with silky pumpkin filling. It tastes so homey and warm when it's still hot from the steamer.
It's perfect for breakfast. Chinese would like to have steamed buns for breakfast. I love to eat steamed buns. Maybe I'm one of those typical one?hahahaha :)
Give these a try and tell me what do you think! :D
You'll need :
For the bun:
1/4 cup of sugar
1 cup of pumpkin purée
1 tsp of active dry yeast
1 1/2 cup of pau flour
1 tsp of baking powder
1 tsp of butter (softened)
For the filling :
3 cups of pumpkin purée
1 1/2 tbsp of sugar (leave it out if you think your pumpkin is sweet enough)
1 tsp cornstarch
For the bun :
1. Combine sugar, pumpkin purée and yeast.
2. In a separate bowl, combine pau flour, baking powder and butter (rub it in).
3. Pour (1) into (2) and mix well.
4. Knead it until it forms a smooth and no longer sticky.
5. Cover it with a plastic wrap. Let the dough proof in a warm place until its doubled in size.
6. Punch it down after it has doubled. Gently knead it for approximate 2 minutes and divide them into 12 equal balls.
LET'S ASSEMBLE THEM TOGETHER!
-Get your steamer ready!
1. Remove pumpkin filling from the fridge.
2. With lightly floured hands, take one piece of dough and flatten it, making it thinner at the sides.
3. Place one piece of filling, round side down onto flattened dough.
4. Wrap and seal bun. I used the fold and pinch technique for a wonderful finishing. If you can't manage to do it obviously you can just simply wrap it into a bun. ^_^
5. Seam side down, place them onto a piece of waxed paper.
6. Let buns proof (covered) for 45 minutes. And steam on high heat for 12 minutes.
NOW IT'S DONE :D
SERVE IMMEDIATELY ! So yummy